Black rice and orange marinated stuffed chicken
SLOW-COOKED KAROO LAMB SHANK RECIPE
6 Karoo lamb shanks
1 litre beef stock
1 litre red wine
4 bay leaves
1 stalk rosemary
2 sticks cinnamon
6 small onions, peeled
4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
150 g tomato paste
50 g brown sugar
100 ml olive oil
- Turn oven to 160° C. Sauté onions, carrots, leeks, herbs and celery with oil in a large pot.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar. Cook for a few minutes and then add stock and wine. Bring to a boil.
- Season shanks well and, in another frying pan, seal them off in a few drops of oil until golden brown.
- Remove shanks from the frying pan and place into a deep roasting tin.
- Pour over the sauce, cover with tin foil and place in the oven.
- Cook for three hours until the meat is soft and almost falls off the bone.
- Remove from the oven and move shanks from pan to a serving dish.
- Strain the sauce and reduce to a thin jus in a saucepan.
- Serve with roast vegetables, roast potatoes and spicy grape and tomato relish.
THE PERFECT PIZZA DOUGH
4 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
55 g Castor sugar
2/3 cup warm water
A pinch salt
25 g yeast
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Before you start, measure out all your ingredients.
- Sift the flour and salt into a clean bowl and make a well in the middle.
- In a jug, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water using a spoon and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well.
- Gradually mix in the flour and swirl it into the liquid.
- Keep mixing, bringing more flour in, and when it all starts to stick together, mix in the rest of the flour with your hands.
- Make sure you wash your hands and dust them with flour first!
- Wipe off the counter and sprinkle a little flour onto it. Put the dough onto the counter and knead until it’s smooth and springy – it should take about 10 minutes.
- Shape it into a ball.
- Rub a little oil into a large bowl and put the ball of dough into the bowl.
- Loosely cover the dough with clingfilm and place in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Sprinkle more flour onto the counter and knead the dough again briefly. Divide into 4 pieces
- Roll out the dough into circles or rough rectangles, about ½ cm thick, and put onto on greased and floured baking trays.
- Use immediately or cover with clingfilm and chill until ready to use.
We are proud to have the team of Chad-O-Chef as our national distributor. The Al Fresco range of ovens will be in a showroom in all major cities soon.
Please find list of our current dealers below or fill in the form to contact us directly should there not be a showroom in your area yet.
Request A Quote