You’re a pizza lover, aren’t you?If so, we’re glad you found us. At Al Fresco pizza ovens, we don’t just manufacture world-class pizza ovens; we also know a thing or two about making delicious pizza.
The secret to making amazing pizza?It’s all in the pizza dough. Pizza dough is the foundation; every great pizza begins with a great pizza crust. Some like a thin and crisp pizza crust, while others prefer a thick and soft one. Our homemade pizza crust has it all: soft & chewy with a delicious crisp and fantastic flavour – we do it just like the Italians.
Why not just buy frozen pizza dough?Frozen pizza dough is certainly convenient, but from-scratch crust has a delicious flavour and texture that only comes from homemade. We’re not ones to shy away from frozen pizza if convenience is our primary concern for the night, but you have to admit, homemade pizza dough just tastes so much better.
What type of dough is pizza dough?Pizza crust, like bagels, pizza, and focaccia, requires a lean dough. A lean dough doesn’t use eggs or butter; you’re promised a crusty pizza crust without the extra fat to make the dough soft. However, we recommend using some olive oil for flavour and keeping the interior on the softer side.
Can I freeze homemade pizza dough?After the pizza dough rises, you can freeze the ball of dough to make pizza at a later time. Lightly coat all sides of the dough ball with nonstick spray or olive oil. Place the dough ball into a zipped-top bag and seal tightly, squeezing out all the air. You can keep it frozen for up to 3 months.
How to thaw frozen pizza doughPlace the frozen pizza dough in the refrigerator for about 8 hours or overnight. When ready to make pizza, remove the dough from the fridge and allow it to rest for 30 minutes on the counter.
How can I include my kids in the pizza-making process?Little bakerscan lend a hand and have fun in the process. Let the kids help you press down the dough and shape it into a circle. They can also help add toppings to the pizza and be creative with their ideas.
If you’re a brand new Al Fresco Pizza Oven owner, or you love good quality, homemade pizza, this tried and tested pizza dough recipe is just for you.
Pizza dough recipe
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups bread flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water, 110 degrees
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine.
- While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball.
- If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball.
- If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Put it in a warm area to let it double in size, for about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces.
- Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.